After recently buying a waffle maker, we have been experimenting big time in the kitchen. The humble waffle maker can produce some incredible dishes when you choose to think outside the box! Recent (successful) experiments include these falafel waffles by Sarah at My New Roots, this kimchi rice waffle and the sweet buckwheat banana waffles below.
The recipe below is vegan and gluten free so should cater for most dietary preferences. We have a deep Belgian style waffle maker but the below recipe will work on both types of waffle maker but cooking time and batch size will vary. The recipe below will feed 2 people for breakfast.
1 cup plant based milk
1 ripe banana
4tbsp almond butter
½ cup buckwheat flour
Pinch of cinnamon
1tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar (optional)
Toppings – we love homemade raspberry chia jam, nut butter, coconut butter, coconut yoghurt or maple syrup
Optional – spray oil or coconut oil/non-dairy butter to oil waffle maker
1. Preheat waffle maker according to instructions – we use high as we like our waffles crispy!
2. Oil waffle maker to avoid sticking (If you have a good non-stick waffle maker, or if your waffle maker is already seasoned, then you can skip the oil. Otherwise a light coat of oil does the trick nicely)
3. Place the banana, milk, almond butter, salt, cinnamon and maple (if using) into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add the sifted flour in the flour into the blender and blend again to combine. Sifting the flour avoids any lumps in the mixture but is not essential.
4. Pour enough mixture into your pre-heated waffle maker to cover the moulds. Bake for approximately 7 minutes (or according to your waffle maker settings/preferences). When the mixture hits the waffle iron they will smoke so have a window ready! They should be ready when steam has stopped rising from the mixture. You can open the waffle maker to have a look, if they look like they are breaking in the middle then they need a bit longer (do not open it the whole way when checking as they will rip if they are undercooked!).
5. Carefully remove the waffles and place on a plate and into a warm oven until ready to top. Continue as above with the rest of the batter.
6. Add toppings.
Until next time, Fran x