First up: this recipe makes the small fluffy American-style pancakes rather than larger thinner crepes. Follow this vegan breakfast recipe below and top with maple syrup, berries, nut butter and enjoy!
For a gluten free version swap the flour for a gluten-free flour mix.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or 2 tbs sugar)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Tablespoon coconut oil (or other fat) for cooking
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use a sieve to prevent lumps.
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Set the batter aside to rest while you heat the pan. Ideally you want to leave the batter for about 10 minutes to rest.
- Add the coconut oil to the pan and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add 2 tablespoons (or a ladle) of mixture to the pan, making about 3 per batch.
- Fry the pancakes for 2-3 minutes per side until browning at the edges.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a warm plate and add more oil to the pan as needed.
We like to have our pancakes with figs or berries, but you can of course serve them with whatever you like! A scoop of coconut yoghurt and a dollop of almond butter are also perfect pancake accompaniments!