DIY Face Masks are a great way to give your skin some love and attention AND use up some of those ingredients sitting in the cupboards! The added bonus? You know exactly what you are putting on your face so no nasty surprises for you or the environment (we're looking at you microbeads)!
These recipes are super easy and quick to make and will leave skin glowing! To make your pamper night extra relaxing: light an UpCircle Chai Spices Soy Candle, put on some calming music and pop 2 slices of cucumber over your eyes whilst the mask is on!
VEGAN OATMEAL FACE MASK
My favourite way to brighten up my skin and keep that summer glow all year round is whipping up this gorgeous mask! The Lemon in it not only really helps with brightening but also works wonders when I’m having a breakout!
• 2 tablespoons of Oatmeal
• 4 tablespoons of hot water
• 1 dash of Lemon juice or Aloe Vera or both
1. Mix everything until you get a creamy consistency.
2. Apply the concoction whilst it is still warm and leave it on for up to 30 minutes.
3. Rise off with lukewarm water
CUCUMBER FACE MASK
This year I started growing my own Cucumbers so, I wanted to experiment with how I could use them on my skin. I’ve always enjoyed using Cucumbers on the eyes for cooling, but this mask takes it to another level! Cucumbers also contain many potent antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients so it’s a win on all regards.
• ½ Cucumber (grated)
• ½ Lemon
• 2-3 Mint leaves
1. Put the grated Cucumber in a bowl.
2. Crush the Mint leaves and add to the Cucumber.
3. Squeeze the juice from the halved Lemon into the Mint-Cucumber mix.
4. Combine all the ingredients well.
5. Apply this cooling mixture on your face. Let it stay for at least 20 minutes.
6. Once it is dry, clean your face with cold water.
BANANA AND TURMERIC FACE MASK
After the joy of making way too much Banana bread with my sister over the past couple of months we always seem to have a surplus of Bananas around the house! This mask is a great way to stop them going to waste while also giving our skin a little treat – maybe even with a little bit of Banana bread on the side!
• 2 tablespoons Banana (ripe and mashed)
• 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
• ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
1. Mix the mashed Banana and Turmeric in a bowl.
2. Add the Baking Soda and combine.
3. Apply the mask over your face and let it dry.
4. Wash with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry.
PINEAPPLE ENZYME MASK
My game changer mask – tingly, makes my skin incredibly soft and helps get rid of any red patches I’ve got! Pineapple is an incredible natural exfoliant and the Coconut milk is so calming on the skin, the dream combination.
• 1 tablespoon mashed Pineapple
• 1 tablespoon mashed Banana
• 1 teaspoon Coconut milk (I used canned light Coconut milk, but any kind will work)
• 1 tablespoon Agave (to help it all stick together)
• 2 tablespoons Oatmeal
1. Mix together all ingredients in bowl and apply to clean, dry skin
2. Leave on for 15-20 minutes
3. Rise off using a clean washcloth
4. If you have leftovers store in the refrigerator and use within 3-4 days
CHARCOAL + CLAY MASK FOR BLACKHEADS
Activated Charcoal has become a necessity for my skincare routine, and this is my favourite creation so far – even my partner gets involved with this! Charcoal has this incredible ability to absorb excess oil, combine that with Apple Cider vinegar and it’s the dream combination to prevent acne!
• 1 teaspoon Bentonite clay (feel free to substitute this for your favourite clay or skip this part if you don’t have this)
• 1 teaspoon activated Charcoal
• 1 teaspoon Apple Cider vinegar
• 3 drops Tea Tree oil
1. In a small glass bowl, combine clay, Charcoal powder, Apple Cider vinegar and Tea Tree oil. Stir to combine. If the mixture is too dry, add a few drops of water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
2. Apply mask to clean face, spreading in an even layer.
3. Leave mask on for 10 minutes. Rinse mask off with warm water and a washcloth.
OATMEAL & AVOCADO FACE MASK
My go to mask when my face needs a little pick me up! This recipe not only hydrates, but exfoliates your skin and you only need a couple simple ingredients. I’m a little avocado obsessed and I love to make this recipe when my avocados are on their last legs to make sure I’m creating as little waste as possible!
• 1 tablespoon rolled Oats, coarsely ground
• 1/2 ripe Avocado
• 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon Green Tea powder
• 1 teaspoon Coconut oil
1. First, place 1/2 a ripe avocado into a small bowl and use a fork to mash as smooth as possible.
2. Then, place rolled oats in a food processor and pulse to coarsely grind. Then transfer into the small bowl and mix with mashed avocado.
3. Add in lemon juice, green tea powder, coconut oil and mix until everything is combined.
4. Apply a few tablespoons to your clean face immediately and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
5. Rinse off with warm water
BAKING SODA AND ORANGE JUICE MASK
My lovely mum introduced me to this wonderfully simple, but effective mask that blew me away! The oranges are full of Vitamin C that is wonderful at creating a natural glow, while the baking soda gently exfoliates dead skin cells leaving skin smooth and dewy. As with any exfoliant make sure to only use 2-3 times a week!
• 2 tablespoons Baking Soda
• Freshly squeezed Orange juice (take enough to make a paste)
1. Mix both the ingredients in a glass bowl.
2. Apply a thin layer of the mask on your face. Allow it to dry completely.
3. Once dry, splash cold water on your face and gently massage in a circular motion for a few minutes.