How do you pronounce Optiat? What does it mean?
- We're so glad you asked: Op – tee – at!
- What does it mean? Good question! Optiat is an acronym for One Person's Trash Is Another's Treasure. It underpins our whole ethos. We find value and opportunity in what others dismiss, by taking quality ingredients that would otherwise be discarded and giving them a brand new life as beauty products!
Are your products cruelty-free?
- Absolutely. 100%. Yes, yes and yes again! We will never test our products on animals and we will never use ingredients that have been tested on animals either.
- Our products are always 100% vegan - we never use animal-derived ingredients in our formulations!
What about coffee in the drains?
- It’s also worth noting that the actual quantity of coffee involved in a single use is absolutely tiny (5-10 grams worth of total product vs. average of 50 litres of water per shower/bath) so there’s no actual risk of any blockage!
• When the coffee scrubs are washed down the drain from the shower or bath, they enter the municipal sewer system.
• The first step of waste management is for the contents of the sewer to enter Clarification tanks. These use differences in density to separate the fats and oils, which drift to the top, from the heavy metals and other solids, which drift to the bottom.
• After Clarification follows Aeration, also known as Digestion tanks. Here, a bacteria-rich environment is created. This quickly consumes natural materials, including the likes of coffee grounds, sugar and salt which are ingredients found in our scrubs.
• To conclude, we are confident that the ingredients in our products do not pose a concern to drains/sewers post-use.
• Given that they are ingredients that are used in human food consumption, they are able to be dealt with by conventional waste management processes, unlike plastic microbeads.
Do you deliver worldwide?
- We're global - you name the country, we'll ship it there!
What are your shipping costs?
- UK: 2nd class: £1.99, free on orders over £15. 1st class upgrade: £1.99
- EU: Flat fee of £3.49
- US: Flat fee of £4.99
- Rest of World: Flat fee of £5.99
Can I use this on my face?
- Whilst our scrubs are primarily for the body, lots of us use them on the face too. As the skin on our face is more sensitive, we advise patch testing on a small part of your face and waiting for 24 hours to see if you have an adverse reaction. And apply gently – don’t rub too hard!
Will the caffeine keep me awake if I use this at night?
- Whilst coffee does contain caffeine, when it is applied to the skin it is absorbed locally. This means that it won’t keep you buzzing all night long!
Do I use this in the shower?
- Yes! Our scrubs are oil-based so simply apply to damp skin for them to apply most effectively. You can also use it in the bath if you like!
Does this replace my soap / shower gel?
- The main benefit of our scrubs is as an exfoliator, buffing away dead skin to reveal fresh, soft smooth skin. We recommend that you shampoo and soap as usual, and then use our scrubs as the final part of your shower routine. We’ve also added shea butter which leaves your skin hydrated post-scrub – so you won’t even need to moisturise afterwards!
Do I need to leave this on or can I wash it off straight away?
- You can certainly wash off straight away, but we recommend leaving for a few minutes to let the caffeine have full effect.
Will this block my drains?
- No! The amount of coffee grounds used each time you scrub your body is so small that they don’t pose a threat to your drains!
Will this stain my tiles / bath / shower?
- Nope! Just make sure rinse your shower after use.
Is this ok to use if I have sensitive skin?
- Our scrubs are natural, so the main allergens are within the essential oils. For sensitive skin, we recommend the Vanilla Velvet or Mouthwatering Mandarin scrubs, which have the lowest concentration of essential oils.
Why do you use a preservative?
- We collect used coffee grounds from cafes, bars and restaurants all across London. As a result, this organic matter needs to be kept clean. We use the only natural preservative that is permitted by Natrue, the European natural cosmetic board. This preservative is considered natural because each ingredient can be found in nature. We believe this is a price worth paying in order to address the 500,000 tonnes of coffee grounds sent to landfill in the UK alone every year!
How do I use it?
- Our hemp face masks come as a powder form, which is brilliant for a number of reasons: 100% natural formulation, no preservatives, and you can mix yourself!
- To make your mask, simply add a few drops of water / apple cider vinegar / oil to a 10p-piece sized quantity of the mask, mix together and then apply to the face. Leave for 5-10 minutes until the mask begins to harden, then rinse!
Any unanswered questions? Send us an email: email@example.com or give us a call on 0800 368 9570 and we'll do our best to help!